CFP Deadline Approaching – RSVP: “Tradition and the New”
The 45th Annual Conference of the Research Society for Victorian Periodicals 12-13 July, 2013
University of Salford, Manchester, UK
The Research Society for Victorian Periodicals (RSVP) will hold its annual conference at the University of Salford, on 12th and 13th July 2013. As always, proposals for papers that address any aspect of nineteenth-century British magazines or newspapers will be considered.
However, this year, we particularly encourage proposals on ‘tradition and the new’ in the nineteenth-century press. Possible topics might include:
• Tradition, custom, or convention in journalism;
• Histories, representations of antiquity, nostalgia;
• Innovation, novelty and fashion;
• Modernity, Victorian futures;
• Evolution, chronology, or temporality;
• Continuity or disruption in periodical publishing and editing;
• Old and new printing technologies and readerships;
• News; new modes of communication; innovation in finance and business models
• New methods in research and teaching periodicals; the role of the archive.
Please e-mail two-page (maximum) proposals for individual presentations or panels of three to RSVP2013@rs4vp.org. Please also include a one-page C.V. with relevant publications, teaching, and/or coursework. Several merit-based travel grants will be made available to students; please indicate if you would like to be considered for one of these. Final papers should take 15 minutes (20 minutes maximum) to present. *The deadline for submissions is February 1st, 2013.*
For more information about the Research Society for Victorian Periodicals, visit RSVP’s website at http://rs4vp.org