Applications are warmly invited for the role of Postgraduate Research (PGR) Intern on the organising committee of Dickens Day 2020. This role is ideal if you would like to help shape and run a major event in the Dickens studies calendar and gain valuable experience of conference organisation and administration.
Established in 1986, and jointly run by Birkbeck (University of London), Cardiff University, the Dickens Fellowship and the Institute of English Studies, Dickens Day is the UK’s leading annual Dickens studies conference, bringing together around 100 people, including renowned Dickens scholars, researchers, members of the Dickens Fellowship and the general public.
The role is voluntary, but travel expenses will be paid for attendance at the two committee meetings in London in spring and summer, as well as the event itself in October 2020.
- Join the committee in drafting the call for papers (CFP), recommending appropriate speakers and drafting the conference programme.
- Provide administrative support to the two committee meetings in spring and summer 2020, including taking notes from the meetings and collating submitted abstracts ahead of the second meeting.
- Manage the Dickens Day Gmail account, answering all queries and liaising with conference applicants and selected non-plenary speakers.
- Help run the event on the day, including welcoming delegates; you are also warmly encouraged to contribute to the opening remarks and chair a panel, if you would like to.
- Live-tweet the event on the day via the Dickens Day Twitter account.
You must be a current PhD research student or a recent (within two years of submission) postdoctoral researcher. You don’t have to be a Dickens expert, but it would help if you’re a fan and you have a broad knowledge of the current world of Dickens studies.
How to apply
To apply, please send a short academic biography of no more than 100 words and a 200-word statement. Tell us what you can contribute to Dickens Day and how the role will benefit your professional development. Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Midnight on Friday 27 March 2020.
We will appoint somebody to the role in April.